The first step of the project was to understand our targeted users and then create a persona. We interviewed several shuttle drivers of different time shifts at Carnegie Mellon University. We consolidated the notes, categorized user's characteristics based on the interview results, and shared our experience of shuttle rides. Below are the problems we identified.
Problems we discovered were as follows:
Passenger's problem (CMU Students)
Based on the research insights, we concluded the goals and a story of the driver's persona. The persona provided us a human "face" throughout the process, which helped improve team communication and guided us by understanding how well our solution met his needs.
We then created a list of user scenarios on storyboard. One of the scenarios was when a student fell asleep during the shuttle ride and the driver was able to remind the student to get off the shuttle at the right stop through the app.
After storyboard we made sketches of 3 different designs from both students and drivers’ views. Each of them has unique workflows and layouts to test different approaches of managing shuttles. We converted the sketches to wireframes using Omnigraffle and validated the designs with 5 drivers and passengers and collected their feedback. The research findings were then summarized on the whiteboard in a pros and cons matrix and merged the advantages of the three designs.
The wireframes were then converted into design spec that defined the transition and interaction of each screen.
The following diagram describes the work flows of the FlexRide System. I created this diagram to give us an overall view of how the screens are connected together and made sure we covered all the screens. To see the interactive prototype, click “Prototype Demo” below.
Finally, I built an interactive prototype to present how FlexRide worked in Flash.