I initiated the idea of building an app to solve our daily problems within GE. Two colleagues loved my idea so we formed the team. My main responsibilities are to rally the team, track the progress of the project and create the overall design. I make sure the project meets each milestone on time and the development team follows iOS standards. It is planning to be released on Q2 2015.
People use Craigslist, eBay or some mobile apps to sell off their dumpster. The common problems with these tools are: buys or sellers are unreliable, inconvenient pick-up time and locations and lastly tedious data entering of the product you want to sell.
Currently in GE, sellers post information on multiple bulletin boards located at different places of the building. Often times, these post are covered by later posts after a while and will not be recognize by readers. The posters on the bulletin boards are disorganized and may be outdated.
We brainstormed several ideas that could help us improve our lives in GE. Then we decided on one and started to design. After 4 rounds of design critiques regarding to the workflow and visual design, we had a final version and now we are developing it.
Before we nailed down to this flea market idea, we brainstormed opportunities to improve our lives in GE with other colleagues. We sketched out possible opportunities that we could target. Initially we came up several app ideas, including meeting room coordination, electrical car charing coordination, lunch catering, etc. Considering the limited amount of time the developers can put in and to maximize user coverage, we decided to build an app related to employee flea market.
I sketched possible screen flows and had the team to critic. We evaluated each screen based on our goal and understanding of the technical challenges.
After several iterations of sketches and wireframes, I build 3 low-fidelity prototypes with Axure to test our concept with GE employees. Based on the feedback, we finally picked one and moved forward to build it.
The project is currently under development. I work closely with the developers to validate the design and provide visual guidelines and assets. We have a beta version running on the phone but still needs design adjustments and bug fixes. I look forward to the app being used by my colleagues.
With GE Tradeit, my colleagues can sell or exchange their personal items in a reliable and convenient manner. Since the targeted users are GE employees whom located at the same site, this will eliminate the uncertainties of trade.